After watching the statements made by Weblogg-ed about PLNs, my first reaction was just feeling as if my own frustrations have been confirmed. I think it is a constant in education today that, as educators, we
constantly underestimate kids. Especially, when it comes to technology. One thing Richardson talks about is people thinking kids don't get the whole concept of a PLN or grasp a social network. Mark Zukerberg was 19 when he created Facebook, for crying out loud!! Almost all my students (ages 9-11) have a social networking account. Teachers have come to me ranting and raving, "Oh, there's no way a student could maintain a blog about what he/she is reading at home." and, "My students would be overwhelmed by the idea of submitting their homework online."
ETC.
This is ridiculous.
These statements come from the same teachers that call on their own children to program their cell phones. These kids have mastered (on their own) what we teachers...ahem... are taking a summer course to understand. It's laughable to think that THEY are the ones who can't handle it.
It's all about redirecting those energies for a use in their classroom learning and playing off their background knowledge (regarding the use of technology). We should be jumping out of our chairs to think we can excite and empower kids by allowing them to use their knowledge of computers (and the like) to learn in the classroom. And, also, at the thought that we teachers are catching up to them and building connections between each other to learn ourselves.
I am giving a standing ovation to teachers moving forward. We are traveling further out of the pencil and paper age, and digging into a larger community of educators/learners that is now readily available to us via technology. I'd love to see a school have their own PLN in place of, or to supplement, staff meetings, for example. Imagine a student creating a blog about what they are learning or reading about in class that parents could access or even a sister classroom could access. It's all very exciting to think of the lines of communication that open.
Stepping off soap box now.
I agree with and appreciate the ideas about commenting. This is something that I see daily while participating in my own social networking. It could be an online version of Bloom's questioning... what can I post to you to prompt a detailed, thoughtful response? Encouraging students to post comments that further their learning would be a very useful tool in the online classroom.
I chose to comment on the following blogs Fatigued Teacher, Teaching Miss Cheska, Kindertracs and Sherrill's Kindergarten Friends.
Hello Ms. Norman! Thanks for the comment on my blog! I too have just started a teacher blog recently, which was born out of a need to find an outlet to post all the wonderful resources and materials I came across via my Twitter PLN. I'm glad that you found it useful!
ReplyDeleteA few thoughts regarding your post... IMHO, humans are by nature social and it is really the environment that is finally catching up to that reality. Advances in technology are flattening boundaries and enabling individuals and the collective to really begin making those connections. In the educational sphere, shifts in paradigms are crumbling the institutional beliefs,and these changes can be very intimidating.
Going from teacher-centered to student-directed pedagogy and methodologies gets rid of the power differential. And I think that's why we see and come across a lot of external and internal resistance when it comes to integrating technology. They miss out on the big picture. Plus, it's a great disservice to our children and youth when we treat them as passive buckets!
I love your soapbox! I was thinking the same thing when I read the article. Students are naturally curious when it comes to technology. My brother, who is only 5 years younger, knows more than I do. And that is because he thrives off of playing with the newest and greatest technology. I know in the beginning I was negative about having to do this activity, but looking at all that it can not only do to enhance my classroom, but also benefit my students outside the classroom, I would be wrong to not use this new technology.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you more. It is time that we begin incorporating the tools of our students into our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteAs for PLNs... I have already learned so much from teachers around the world - such a difference from being within the walls of my classroom only 10 years ago! When we would get together with another team of teachers from a neighboring school twice a year to share ideas, we thought we were broadening our walls!
Change it is a comin... I will have to agree this has been an eye opening experience, but it's also been interesting to see what's to come.
ReplyDeleteWe do underestimate kids and in order to keep them engaged I think getting in the know on these technology tools is a must.
There are many different ways to engage them, and using a blog would enhance their own personal creativity.