Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tool #5... bad for people with ADD

I understand that Delicious is supposed to help you organize and make mobile your most important sites... but I feel like it did just the opposite for me. I guess I just got a bad taste in my mouth about it because I got distracted. It makes sense to be able to bookmark websites and take them with you, but I think it doesn't appeal to my 'simple is a non-negotiable' computer attitude. My first mistake was not installing the bookmarking/tagging buttons to the browser. If you don't install the buttons to the browser, you have to copy/paste the URL into the Delicious website and blah, blah, blah. My second mistake was clicking the Explore button found under Tags... GOO! I got lost playing and looking at other people's interests (essentially) for an hour. I found an article praising a Houston author which took me to her website which took me to some photography lady's website... (what is it about looking at someone else's pictures that is so intriguing? Maybe we should ask Facebook.) and it was endless. But, when I really got down to things that interested ME (besides other people's interests), I found the following:

I can learn to speak Chinese! Of course this isn't a website I can necessarily join and submit my own thoughts, but I would definitely bookmark it under Delicious so that I could visit it on any computer and take my lessons. Well, I thought it was cool. Who doesn't want to learn a bit of Mandarin in their spare time?? Just me? Ok.

I also found another educator's blog with lots of inspiring thoughts about how to better educate students. I could certainly share thoughts or feedback there.

But riddle me this, Batman? Doesn't Delicious do essentially the same thing Google Reader does but in a more organized fashion? Google Reader would give me a small view of all changes to all "tagged" websites. I suppose they're different but I would almost rather put all my websites in Reader... they still go to every computer through my Google account. Just an observation.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you make that comparison the same way I did with photostory and powerpoint slideshow...tee hee...

    ReplyDelete