Tuesday, August 3, 2010

#9 Automated teaching and video conferencing

I feel like Jing could be used in the same ways an iMovie if you did it the right way. You could post a document just as you would post a picture in an iMovie to explain/teach about a topic. You could use the voiceover tool to make explainations. I suppose Jing would be better at creating animated pictures to teach, but in essence they could be used in the same ways.

I am a veteran Skype user. When you are out of the country it is a life saver. Phone cards should be a thing of the past, as long as there is an Internet connection available (which I never had a problem with). BUT, with this said, there are better sites which do the same thing but more effectively. Oovoo does the exact same thing as Skype but you can have more people involved in the same call and the video quality is far better. I think a video chat would be a great way for students to connect from different schools which would make it possible to work on a collaborative project, discuss a shared experience or trade ideas for a project. The possibilities are endless... it could replace the pen pal system that teachers use now to connect with other classes.

I have accounts on both Skype and Oovoo... are extremely easy to set up, especially if you already have a microphone/camera built in to your computer. You pick your name, pick your password, test your equipment, fill in information about yourself on your profile, and you're up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment